OLBIA (SARDINIA): Saturday, October 15: Young Italian racer Alberto Comparato set the fastest lap of 30.00sec on a revised course in the one-hour free practice session for this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix of Regione Sardegna on Saturday morning.
Team Abu Dhabi’s Thani Al-Qemzi and Shaun Torrente shadowed the Comparato F1 team driver and finished second and third in the session, with Marit Stromoy in fourth and Jonas Andersson rounding off the top five.
After the first practice session on Friday afternoon, race officials discovered that slight changes were needed for the Olbia course and official practice on Saturday morning was delayed by an hour as a result. The team worked to modify the course at first light and it was slightly shortened.
By mid-session, Andersson topped the times with a run of 30.79sec, with Chiappe and Torrente following in his wake. Al-Qemzi snatched the advantage with a lap of 30.61sec with 25 minutes of the session to run. Selio then hit the top with a flying tour of 30.96sec only to be displaced by Al-Qemzi and Andersson.
Torrente hit the front heading into the last 10 minutes, but his Team Abu Dhabi team-mate then carded a 30.51sec lap and that was bettered by Alberto Comparato (30.00sec) shortly before the session was yellow-flagged. After the restart, the Italian’s time stood to win the stint.
Maverick Racing’s Cédric Deguisne only managed one lap before returning to the pits.
The all-important qualifying sessions take place on the new course on Saturday afternoon.
2022 Italian Grand Prix of Regione Sardegna - free practice result (Saturday):
1. Alberto Comparato (ITA) Comparato F1 30.00sec
2. Thani Al-Qemzi (UAE) Team Abu Dhabi 30.51sec
3. Shaun Torrente (USA) Team Abu Dhabi 30.57sec
4. Marit Strømøy (NOR) Strømøy Racing F1H2O Team 30.65sec
5. Jonas Andersson (SWE) Team Sweden 30.79sec
6. Sami Selio (FIN) Sharjah Team 30.84sec
7. Phillipe Chiappe (FRA) China CTIC Team 31.10sec
8. Alec Weckström (FIN) Gillman Racing 31.44sec
9. Bartek Marszalek (POL) Strømøy Racing F1H2O Team 31.97sec
10. Ferdinand Zandbergen (NED) Sharjah Team 32.21sec
11. Kalle Viippo (FIN) Team Sweden 32.80sec
12. Alexandre Bourgeot (FRA) Maverick Racing 33.13sec
13. Filip Roms (FIN) Gillman Racing 33.27sec
14. Duarte Benavente (POR) F1 Atlantic Team 34.38sec
15. Cédric Deguisne (FRA) Maverick Racing 1min 08sec